The Devil's Advocate

7:42 AM


Yesterday, when I scanned through the television set, I was able to watch the Devil's Advocate (starring Keanu Reeves and Al Pachino). There was a line by the Devil (Al Pachino) saying that the 20th century was his (just before reaching the year 2000). It got me thinking. People before the millennium were too worried about the end of the world. Movies came out about comets hitting the Earth, or "the beast" appearing. Some religious leaders even talked their followers to go to their sacred place because only they can be saved (you might know who I'm talking about and I don't want to name names). Everyone was busy for the said event--the End of the World. Well, watching the movie for the second time got me into thinking: What if they had the right idea of the world belonging to Satan, but only got the date wrong? What if it were that only until the 20th century was the world able to resist him? People after the "expected End-of-the-World" I think got away with the pressure, and some I think felt quite free. Freedom to think, feel, and act. The feeling that the end may not come. Just look around, even the Catholic church tolerate scandals and have no power against it. Actions taken against immorality are taken as being judgemental. Conservative cultures are dying fast, and doing wrong is much preferred than doing right. Self-sacrifice is a thing of the past and all I care about is my future. Vanity is inveitable.

What if the 20th century wasn't his but was the last stand for humanity and faith to succeed? What if the 21st century onward is deemed under his ownership? Just a question though, what if?

0 comments: